Parts from the USA

Any triple related issues, topics or stories then POST THEM HERE.......

Parts from the USA

Postby Collyolly » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:53 pm

Hi All
I have been looking at some parts on e-bay USA , anyone got first hand experiance of trading over there ?
Particularly interested in the added costs involved and if there are any pitfalls to avoid.
Many thanks
Collyolly

Re: Parts from the USA

Postby SAM » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:07 pm

Bought plenty over the years and it's got more costly! Duty on purchase price and postage plus admin cost! Best deal is if you can get someone to bring in.
Years back got some great deals.
THREES MORE FUN
SAM
Expert

Postby Nigel S » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:16 pm

Sorry mate but all the cheap deals have gone. Expensive parts and totally rip off postage and taxes this end.
If you travel to the states on holiday then buy parts and send to hotel for when you arrive.
Ever started something you wish you had'nt.
Nigel S
Expert

Postby H2R » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:40 pm

OK, so who's planning Christmas in New York?!!
It's a great life if you don't weaken. Until I am dead, I am alive. Standstill is lethal. Die strong!
H2R
Expert

Postby thelodgers » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:54 pm

I can't remember the exact expression but you can buy from eBay US or wherever when the additional cost includes a fixed amount for all US/ UK customs, postage , VAT etc so you know exactly the cost to get the item into your hands, Maybe the good days have gone but there are still good individual deals out there for those who are patient.
Contents may settle !
thelodgers
Expert

Postby Nick64 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:11 pm

thelodgers wrote:I can't remember the exact expression but you can buy from eBay US or wherever when the additional cost includes a fixed amount for all US/ UK customs, postage , VAT etc so you know exactly the cost to get the item into your hands,

Global Shipping Programme
KH400A4
My Dad told me "If it's stuck use a bigger hammer."
Nick64
Expert

Postby Collyolly » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:04 pm

I am now looking at an H1 gearbox for my H2 ( see my wanted listing for a 1st gear ) there looks to be a nice set on eBay but I am yet to get an experianced reply with regard to the costs involved, if you search the codes for import duty it is very confusing there does not seem to be a simple category for bike/car spares. Is it likely to be a very small percentage of the total cost as duty then VAT on the new total ?
Anyone done this recently ?
Many thanks
Collyolly

Postby robh1f » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:19 pm

Just taken delivery of some carb slides from the US. They cost $35 plus $17 shipping. I got stung for £6.66 VAT and a £8.00 "handling charge " from the Royal mail.On the sticker attached to packet it states that customs charges are applied to imports over £15 and all items valued over £135 will attract import duty. Have you fried to get it sent as a gift or lower value ???? its unlikely but worth a shot !! Good luck Thumbs Up
robh1f
Expert

Postby Collyolly » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:54 pm

Hi Robh1f
Thanks for your reply, that's a good start, I will see if the seller would play ball with lowering the listed value, worth a try.
Collyolly

Postby robh1f » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:13 pm

Hold fire......there is an h1 gearbox for sale on eBay UK £21.00 at the mo but am guessing it will go for a LOT more as its the complete shebang. I probably have the 2 gear clusters if that's all you need. No selector forks. Found that one on eBay US but he has it on UK site as well...............be lucky mate !!!!!!
robh1f
Expert

Postby RacerRB159 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:40 pm

Some eBay sellers will post a low value on an item when requested, the problem then is if they get caught out it can be very very costly. If they insist on selling via eBay then the costs and postage etc are mostly pre determined.
I’ve personally never bought anything over $135 as I know I’m going to get reamed by the postal service.
If you know someone who is going over there, they may be prepared to bring it back, or, get it posted to someone who lives there and ask them to send it as a gift with a low value.
Blowing smoke rings over the Green party since 1969
RacerRB159
Expert

Return to All Things 'Triple' Related.